Monday, September 15, 2008

ROOTS WORK



Community Vision Council is a coalition of committed activists who met in 2004 in Bushwick, Brooklyn NY at a gathering called “Solution Building @ the Roots”. We have organized, promoted and sponsored cultural education workshops, farmers markets and sustainable living projects. Our CVC Farmers Market has served a community district with over 100,000 residents from one of NYC’s poorest neighborhoods – Bushwick.


WORDS FROM PARTICIPANTS

CVC is a visionary leader in the movement to claim dignified living for all human beings particularly in accessing the rights to food and health.

The great presentation you were giving to my children was wonderful and I really appreciate the time that you took to share it with us.

As a Director, I will always be in support of this program. This is a major way to educate our youth in bridging the generation gap with our seniors.

I made a wonderful stew with vegetables from the market and my husband raved about how delicious it was.

We support the mission of CVC and are encouraged by more opportunities for our students to learn and understand the importance of proper nutrition in all respects---from farm to table.

This program was very informative. The material was presented well and it was on the level of the children in the audience.

Thank you making emergency preparedness an important topic for our community. We will begin to conduct training sessions led by the important resources that you shared with us. And I want them to join us in Houston next year.

I believe workshops such as yours will improve relations between communities, age differences, races and religions. I look forward to more in the village of Harlem.

I am now a vegetarian!

Thank you for bringing “An Evening of Healing” to our school. I never had acupuncture done and the 16 Bean soup was fantastic.

Because I want a better world for my children and grandchildren, I put solar panels on the house. The sun shines all the time and cleaner energy is there.

CVC has been a life-line to a cancer survivor like me who juices my fruits and vegetables.


CVC’s aim is to build a community based response to the growing food system movement and to become catalysts for real change. CVC members & partners will participate in urban gardening (home, school & community sites), farming, farmers markets, CSAs, CSMs, Buyers Clubs, Collective Kitchens, entrepreneurship, & new business development that respectfully recognizes our identities, cultural traditions and legacy.

No comments: